Pittsburgh International Airport

History

Allegheny County Airport - Pittsburgh's Premier General Aviation Airport

Allegheny County Airport was dedicated on September 11, 1931. When it was completed, it was third largest airport in the country, as well as the only hard-surface airport in the country. It was historically the main air entrance to the city of Pittsburgh. In June of 1952, the Greater Pittsburgh Airport (now Pittsburgh International Airport) opened for commercial aviation. Both airports operate under the Allegheny County Airport Authority. Like many historic municipal fields, Allegheny County Airport now serves small and mid-sized private, and corporate traffic.

AGC-Banner-3.jpg Aviation History Flying Over AGC

Dedicated on September 11, 1931, AGC has been central to the evolution and development of aviation in western Pennsylvania and the country.

Learn more about historic "firsts" that occurred here.